Thursday, October 15, 2020

Twenty Fifth Anniversary of the Million Man March


On October 16, 1995 over 2 million Black men converged in Washington, DC for the historic Million Man March (MMM); this is its 25th Anniversary. 


As Black men what is our condition in America twenty five years later? Black men ya'll remember the first paragraph of the Million Man March Pledge that reads:

"I PLEDGE that from this day forward I will strive to love my brother as I love myself. I, from this day forward, will strive to improve myself spiritually, morally, mentally, socially, politically and economically for the benefit of myself, my family and my people. I pledge that I will strive to build businesses, build houses, build hospitals, build factories and enter into international trade for the good of myself, my family, and my people." 

Collectively Black men have we lived up to this first paragraph of the MMM Pledge? If not, what happened? Why don't Black men participate in the Black Lives Matter (BLM) demonstrations like we participated in the Million Man March? Aren't the racist police murder of Black men the focus of BLM protests?

No comments: